Donation Support Button

Sunday, June 17, 2012

VETTING MY LOVE OF MY SON

Why do I love my son more than more than anything else? Simply put... he is my son! Here is a condensed trip through our years.



I was there to cut his umbilical cord when he was born.

I was there to watch over him during his first two weeks on earth, in his incubator in the hospital, as he recovered from Jaundice.

I drove him, and his mother, home to drop the atom bomb realization on ourselves that we now had a tiny human being the size of a rolled up newspaper to take care of!

And that realization was THE “Oh my god” moment of my life, at that time!

I watched the years flow by faster than a streaking comet across a starry sky!

Before I knew it my son was six years old and declaring to me that, “Daddy, one day I am going to be a teacher.” Yes, I did cry at that moment.

Before I knew it, he was finished with elementary school, middle school and high school! All the years of studying and tests and teacher’s logic, all the sports, all the nurturing of his violin practices and concerts, all the school projects and trips and marches and parades and events and fund raising… all this wonderful life passed by like desirous crystal clear water flowing through a stream of beautiful green life along its banks. All that life passed by too freaking fast for my brain to have truly comprehended it would, by me arrogantly thinking I could anticipate the future and how things would be when it arrived. I was smacked in the face by my actual ignorance.

High School graduation day arrives and the end of the rearing of my now teenage son has arrived. It was a beautiful day and my son, and his many friends, had a blast as their future was now their reality.

For me, my son’s graduation was pure selfish sadness! This sadness was absolutely my own caveat, dealt with in the privacy of my own mind. I was selfishly sad because my little boy is now officially a man! And, I have to let him be that man! The kisses and the hugs and the sitting on my knee as I read him a story are now the fluffy stuff reserved for future grandkids. And that notion sucks, because I want to continue to love my son in that way, but I can’t… because I have to let him be a man. More damn tears.

University life in an excellent university… and my son loves it. He has assimilated into the cellular structure of the university and is now a part of -- JMU!

More time has passed and he is now about to be a Junior, as of the fall of 2012. And, again… I can’t believe how fast this time is passing. He loves his university and he is still, without a doubt, on his way to being the teacher he told me he would be at 6 years old! He told me that 14 years ago. Unbelievable!

He is working this summer because he needs money to purchase a car. He will need transportation because he HAS to travel to several locations near his university that are very far apart in order to do all his intern-like studies this year. I hope he can get his car… we’ll see.

And now, this morning, on Fathers day… my son approaches me and gives me a Father’s day present that is simple in its meaning but means everything to me.

I am a complete comic book geek. I have been this way for almost 5 decades. My son NEVER became a true fan of DC and Marvel comics. He is a Powers Rangers kid who morphed into a Pokemon kid… and that was always all right by me!

When Spiderman arrived in the theaters, my son was not interested. I finally talked him into letting me take him. Then Iron Man came out and he went to the theater with me. Later we watched Thor and Captain America together. And finally, we watched The Avengers this summer. And guess what… he loved all of these movies. But, he still will not pick up a comic book. And I am ok with that, too. I just wanted us to spend time together. Well this morning my son gave me this as my father’s day present. And, for me, the fact that he cares enough about his dad to buy me a present that he knows I would love makes me love him even more.

The past is the past, filled with great memories. But, the future is now! It is the future of my son and his friends. I am just so glad that he thinks about his old man and cares enough about me to know what would make me happy. And that is… just being my son!

Thanks, Harrison! I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment