Donation Support Button

Thursday, February 9, 2012

VETTING MARVEL COMIC'S ATTITUDE TOWARD JACK KIRBY

(Feb 8th 2012 By: J. Caleb Mozzocco

James Sturm Boycotts 'The Avengers' Film over Marvel's Treatment of Jack Kirby)

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/02/08/cartoonist-james-sturm-boycotts-the-avengers-movie-over-marvel/#ixzz1lu0Xr6Ko



My Response
I am a 53 year old comic book collector. I also live in the old school comic book worlds of Marvel and DC. The day I saw the first Spiderman Symbiote in
The Amazing Spider-Man #252 way back in 1984 - I was 23 years old - I knew that I did not like the concept. And when the Secret Wars miniseries reintroduced the Symbiote in #8 I knew, way back then… with that black uniform… that bad times at Marvel Comics were coming. I NEVER liked Marvel’s turn to screwing with the Marvel universe after the Secret Wars series. And I have never fully stepped back into the Marvel universe.

The Marvel Omnibus books are a great way to read early Marvel Comics and either to remember the great way Marvel Comics was, or to introduce yourself to Marvel perfection before the wave of new “talent” destroyed Marvel in the 1980’s. Rob Liefeld is a perfect example of this. I respect Rob Liefeld for working in an industry that gave him the keys to a ‘redefine comic art train’ that drove straight through Marvel comics and the rest of the industry. He did what he should have done… WORKED! But, Marvel allowed one man to change everything art wise, and that was stupid! Marvel moved away from the norm and controversy was born at Marvel!

Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Herb Trimpe, Jim Steranko, Barry Smith, and Joe Sinnott are the men from Marvel who should roll off the tongues of every marvel fan. It is Marvel Comic’s duty to make the public aware of what these men meant to the comic book world. There are many, many more men and women who deserve praise, but I like these men.

Stan Lee should be Marvel’s god. Marvel comics should parade this man around in front of everything it does. A 5 second line in a Marvel movie is just plain stupid.

In closing, Jack Kirby is THE MAN! Want to secure that sentiment in your own mind? Read “KIRBY, KING OF COMICS!” written my Mark Evanier…remember him from his fantastic writing in “GROO THE WANDERER?” This book has fantastic Kirby art throughout its length. I mean, this is some unbelievable stuff here. WOW!

And, I am really reconsidering my support of the AVENGERS movie. I just don’t like the way Disney comports itself when it comes to business. Sometimes you do some real nasty business, Disney!

Oh yea, “JOHN CARTER?” Disney again? I might not support that movie, too.

Ronald Lee Jones

2-9-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment